History of Boston is closely linked to the Parish Church,
St. Botolphs named after a Saxon monk, who it is believed
built the first monastery , some 1,300 years ago. The church
is affectionately known as "Boston Stump" how
this name came about no one is quite sure; however, it is thought
that the appearance from the flat fenlands suggests a stump.
Building of the present church began in 1309, on the
site of a smaller Norman church and was completed by about 1390.
Work on the tower, designed by Reginald of Ely, started about
1450. It was a considerable feat of engineering for its
time and took 70 years to build. During the early 1920's the
death-watch beetle seriously damaged roof timbers and
cracks were found in the tower. Funds were raised for the repairs,
some of the money coming from well-wishers in Boston, Mass.
U.S.A. In recent years with no funding from the government
responsibility of the church lies with the vicar, townspeople
and the generosity of its visitors.